Sunday, November 10, 2013

Put a Pocket on It



I made this apron to sell in my Etsy shop, Christmas Jul.  I used a pattern, fabric and trim from my shop to create this apron.  It is awfully adorable.

You can see the fabrics I used.  The  pattern I used is this one....
The directions are very easy to follow and the aprons are fun! to make.

I used the pocket pattern for this apron but I made mine a little different.  Here are my directions.

1.  I cut one pocket piece out of the peppermint fabric using the pocket pattern.  


2.  I made about a 2" fold in the pattern, to make a shorter pattern.  I pinned this shorter pattern to the nutcracker fabric and cut around it.


3.  With right sides together, pin the top edge of the small and the large pocket together.

4.  Sew, using a 1/4" seam


5.  Press the seam toward the nutcracker side of the pocket.  


6.  With right sides together, match the bottom of both pocket pieces and align pieces so side edges come together.  Pin.

7.  Using a 1/4" seam, sew around the pocket.  Be sure to leave a small opening to turn the pocket right side out.  You can see my opening is on the right hand side of this pocket.  I back stitch at the beginning and end of each line of stitching to hold the thread securely in place. 



8.  Turn the pocket right side out and press it into shape.  I use a pin to help me ease the fabric curves into place.  

9.  Pin the pocket onto the apron.  Sew it in place.  Using the needle adjustment feature on my machine, I move my needle two clicks to the right of center.  You can see in this picture that my foot has a line in the center   This helps to keep the seam line straight.  


This is one of a bazillion pocket patterns I use for my aprons.  

No comments:

Post a Comment